Benefits to Charging an EV at HomeJuly 25, 2022 12:00 am Leave your thoughts
You have finally bought your first Electric Vehicle (EV). Congratulations! Now you are pondering the best charging option that will work for you while still considering the cost. You may be tempted to consider public EV charging stations over installing a home charging station, because of the cost implications. However, the several benefits of home EV charging stations make installing one an ultimately wiser investment decision.
- Charging your EV at home is much safer and very convenient. Some public charging stations are located in isolated areas, compromising your security and that of your EV. Installing your home EV charging station is a much safer option. It is also convenient as you will charge your electric vehicle in the comfort of your home and be on the go with a fully charged car whenever you are heading out. It also avoids queueing at public charging stations, saving you precious time.
- Home charging your EV is more pocket-friendly. You will avoid the overhead cost added to your charging bill at public charging stations. Home charging also allows you to make a conscious, environmentally-friendly decision of using green energy.
- Home charging offers predictability. A quality EV charging station in your home means a durable, long service. Home charging stations are suitable for different car brands, thus no frequent replacement whenever you change your EV. Home charging your EV means a full charge, giving you the advantage of planning your day as you are sure your battery will last longer hours.
- It guarantees your battery’s health. It means longer life for your battery, saving on the high cost of frequent replacements.
- Home EV charging stations increase your property’s value. If you have a home charging station installed, you can leverage this to raise your home’s asking price when selling it.
Factors to Consider Before Installing an EV Home Charging Station
- The location. The charging port should be conveniently located near where you usually park your vehicle, either in the driveway or garage.
- Your daily driving range and your EV’s battery capacity. It will dictate the level of charging equipment required for your home charging stations. Level 1 equipment is cheaper as you can charge your EV on the electric outlet closest to parking, provided it is securely wired. However, if you have a longer driving range and a bigger capacity battery, you will require a Level 2 charging station. Its installation requires safety-certified devices by qualified and experienced electrical contractors.
- Your installation contractor. Ensure that your electrical contractor is certified and experienced. Duke Electric Company has certified and trusted electricians for quality and safe EV home charging station installation across Georgia.
- Homeowner incentives. Different states have various local, state, and federal government-induced incentives for EV home charging station owners to promote EV buying. You can take advantage of the different electric rates and plans for EV home charging.
- Codes and regulations. Ensure you comply with all regulations, codes, and permits for installing charging equipment that applies to your area.
The initial cost of installing EV home charging stations is high and discouraging. However, it is a cost-effective investment choice, considering the benefits of having one in the long run.
Categorised in: Electric Vehicle Chargers
This post was written by admin