Addressing electrical issues is never any homeowner’s idea of a good time, but it’s necessary to keep your home and family safe. Every year, around 400 people die in electrical fires. Putting off electrical repairs risks serious consequences. That’s why it’s smart to have the number of your favorite local electrical contractor on hand in Forsyth County, GA. When you notice any of the following signs in your home, you can have your electrician repair the problem right away—and you’ll sleep easier knowing your family and possessions are safe.
Here are the top electrical warning signs to watch out for:
- Flickering lights: Does your lighting seem more suitable for the Haunted Mansion ride than a 21st century home? Flickering lights or dim bulbs indicate a need for repairs. Of course, if you live in an older home, you may notice that lights flicker or dim when major appliances (like your air conditioner or refrigerator) kick on. As long as it goes back to normal within a moment or two, you’re probably safe—but it never hurts to have an electrician check it out.
- Going through lightbulbs faster than usual: Have you noticed your lightbulbs are burning out faster than normal? This could be a problem with your electricity. On the other hand, the bulb wattage may be too much for the appliance or fixture. Make sure to check the recommended wattage when installing new lightbulbs.
- Blown fuses or tripped breakers: Blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers should be a relatively unusual occurrence. One or two blown fuses per year probably isn’t cause for alarm, but any more than that and you likely have an electrical problem. Your wiring is probably overloaded, and requires professional electrical attention—don’t try to fix this yourself.
- Worn-out outlets: This occurs a lot in older homes. Sometimes a well-used outlet will have trouble holding plugs properly. If you notice an outlet is loose, unplug everything from that outlet and call an electrician. They can replace the outlet and look for any additional wiring problems.
- Burning smells or sparks: Any time your outlets smell like something is burning, or if you see sparks often, there’s a serious problem at hand. Burning smells and frequent sparks indicate that there is too much electricity flowing through your wiring. Ignoring the problem could lead to an electrical fire, so don’t let this go unaddressed.
- Malfunctioning switches or outlets: Finally, malfunctioning switches or outlets indicate that the components are past their prime. Look for switches or outlets that won’t turn on, even when the fuses and breakers are functioning properly. Usually, this means the wiring has come loose. You’ll need an electrician to repair the problem.
When you notice any of these warning signs or have other issues with your electricity, call Duke Electric Co., your local electrical contractors in Forsyth County, GA. We’re full-service electricians who can fix residential or commercial electrical systems. Reach out to us today to learn more about our services and schedule an appointment.
Categorised in: Electrician
This post was written by Writer